It was supposed to come sweeping down in a magnificent display of elegance.
However, an owl, which should have delivered rings to a couple at the foot of the aisle on their wedding day, instead flew up into the church rafters and fell asleep for an hour.
The owl, named Darcey, had other ideas and felt that the corner was far too cosy.
Having fallen asleep for an hour, with red ribbons still attached to its feet, Reverend Chris Bryan decided not to sit through the pause, but continued with a set of back-up wedding rings until the bird felt ready to descend.
The barn owl took 40 winks in the rafters of the Holy Cross Church in Wiltshire (Picture: SWNS)
- Meet me at the Owl-tar! Romantic bird fails to deliver wedding rings, falls asleep in church roof (metro.co.uk)
- What an owler! Bird carrying wedding rings flies up to church roof and falls asleep (express.co.uk)
- Barn owl delivering rings to wedding couple puts ceremony on hold after it falls asleep (thisismoney.co.uk)
- Wedding h-owl-er! Couple who wanted barn owl to deliver rings at the altar put ceremony on hold after it fell asleep (thisismoney.co.uk)
- The Wedding Ring as a covenant sign and not The worlds most Smallest Handcuff. (caringheartfamilylifecareblog.wordpress.com)
- The Wedding Ring And The Naked Fingers. You think you are married? (caringheartfamilylifecareblog.wordpress.com)
- How to choose the perfect wedding band (news.thediamondstore.co.uk)