– Matt Smith‘s 11th Doctor will depart in this year’s Christmas special
– New Doctor Who set to be unveiled during a ground-breaking live episode
– Their identity is being kept a secret using the codename ‘Houdini’
– Speculation is rife the new Doctor could be a woman for the first time
– Dame Helen Mirren and comedienne Miranda Hart are both in the running
– The Thick of It star Peter Capaldi has also been touted for the role
It has been two months since he announced he was leaving Doctor Who.
The new star of Doctor Who will be revealed in a special live programme on Sunday, the BBC has announced.
The half-hour show, presented by Zoe Ball, will feature an interview with the new lead, as well as 11th Doctor Matt Smith and executive producer Steven Moffat.
“The decision is made and the time has come to reveal who’s taking over the Tardis,” Moffat said.
“For the last of the Time Lords, the clock is striking twelve.”
Doctor Who Live: The Next Doctor, is on BBC One at 7pm on 4 August.
According to the official announcement, Ball “will unveil the 12th Doctor in the first ever interview in front of a live studio audience set against the backdrop of a swirling vortex, amongst Daleks and the Tardis”.
The 11 Doctors
1. William Hartnell (1963-1966)
2. Patrick Troughton (1966-1969)
3. Jon Pertwee (1970-1974)
4. Tom Baker (1974-1981)
5. Peter Davison – pictured (1982-1984)
6. Colin Baker (1984-1986)
7. Sylvester McCoy (1987-1996)
8. Paul McGann (1996)
9. Christopher Eccleston (2005)
10. David Tennant (2005-2010)
11. Matt Smith (2010 – 2013)
12. TO BE ANNOUNCED
13. John Hurt (2013 – 20XX)
Smith, who has played the Time Lord since 2010, announced in June that he would be bowing out in this year’s Christmas special.
The announcement sparked much speculation about who might take over, with Peter Capaldi, Ben Daniels, Rory Kinnear and Ben Whishaw among the bookies’ favourites.
Ben Stephenson, BBC drama controller, said: “Amongst all the speculation and betting, there has been lots of fun and intrigue at work as we’ve been using the codename Houdini as a decoy.
“It’s the biggest secret in showbiz, even those working with the new Doctor on other projects at the moment have no idea they are in the presence of the 12th incarnation.”
Doctor Who marks its 50th anniversary on 23 November with a special episode, starring Matt Smith, David Tennant and John Hurt as the Doctor.
The episode will also see the return of the Daleks and the Zygons.
Please remember LIKE, COMMENT, SHARE and SUBSCRIBE as it helps us grow and you wont miss a video 🙂
WANT MORE VIDEOS? – goo.gl/7je095
Branding by www.SpicerDesigns.com
I am “MetalEddy” from Philip Defranco (sxephil) Movie Club 🙂
- Wednesday 12th: In which I speculate about Gallifreyan gender assignment as well as other guff. (holeinyoursoul.wordpress.com)
- 6 Reasons Why I LOVE WordPress (renardmoreau.wordpress.com)
- Mery Ponders Over: Female Doctor (wonderly.com)
- Peter Capaldi To Be Announced As ‘Doctor Who’ In Special Live Show? (contactmusic.com)
- Who’s next? New Doctor Who to be unveiled on Sunday (theguardian.com)
- Doctor Who: 12th Doctor will be announced on Sunday (telegraph.co.uk)
- New Doctor Who star to be unveiled (bbc.co.uk)